Gedmatch Tier 1
The display formats of the tools can differ between access levels, as well as which version of the Gedmatch site is used. As such the user needs to be careful that not only are they on the correct version of the Gedmatch website to run the tool. but that they are selecting the correct import template for the tool they ran as well as for their access level.
If your import fails, please check the following:
Are you using the Google Chrome browser to run your selected Gedmatch tool?
Are you using the correct import template for your access level and your chosen tool?
If you have Basic access, you must use the Basic templates.
If you have Tier 1 access, you must use the Tier 1 templates.
Using the wrong templates for your access level will cause import issues due to how Gedmatch can display different data depending on your access level.
Have you followed the instructions for how to run the tool to then import the results into GDAT?
If you answered “No.” to any of the above or are unsure, adjust your actions as needed and try again.
Data able to be collected from Gedmatch depends on the level of access, and your method of access.
Pay attention to the importation methods used, as these may have have recently changed.
The available Tier 1 in-built templates are:
1: Tier 1 One to Many
1. Log in the the New Gedmatch, under Tier 1 Tools, select "One-To-Many - Full Version"
Do not use the other option, it will fail the import process.
You can create your own template for the other if you wish.
If your display does not look like this: Stop, return to the previous page and select the correct tool.
2. Enter the Kit Number and press the Display Results button. You may or may not need to answer a reCaptcha.
3. When the results appear, highlight the entire page (Ctrl a or Cmd a), and copy the entire page, including the data (Ctrl c or Cmd c).
4. In GDAT, select from the Import Menu, "Gedmatch Tier 1: 1: Tier 1 One-To-Many".
You will be prompted to confirm you wish to load the data into the currently selected profile, which will be named.
5. Place your cursor in the pop up window and click “Paste”. The contents of the clipboard will be added to this window. Now click “Import”.
6. When the Import Summary appears, review the contents if desired.
Note: This import will potentially create new matches that may not be populated by the Segment Search. These matches will display in the Relative List as having 0 (zero) segments. This is normal. You should check these via a One to One Comparison to determine if they are valid matches, and import them if desired. This discrepancy in match lists is due to the Gedmatch algorithms for each tool.
2: Tier 1 Segment Search
1. Under Tier 1, select "Segment Search"
2. Enter Kit Number and set "Show graphic bar for Chromosome" to No.
You can choose to adjust other settings if you wish, or leave them at the default settings. People with endogamy may benefit from changing the Chromosome from “All” to a single chromosome and repeat the search for each in turn.
Be aware that parents and siblings are often excluded from the results of this tool due to the Gedmatch limitation of excluding matches over 2100 cM. You will need to import these matches via a One to One.
3. Press Submit button. You may or may not need to answer a reCaptcha.
4. When the results appear, click on the Download button, and save the resulting csv file.
5. In GDAT, select from the Import Menu, "Gedmatch Tier 1: 2: Tier 1 Segment Search".
6. Locate the file click just saved, and click "Open". Your file will now import.
7. Review the Import Summary if desired.
3: Tier 1 Triangulations
1. Log in the "New" Gedmatch, and under Tier 1 Tools, select "Triangulation"
2. Enter Kit Number
3. Select Max number of closet matches to consider, this can be left at the default value or changed to your preference.
4. Press Submit. You may or may not need to answer a reCaptcha.
5. When the results appear, click the download button and save the resulting csv file.
6. In GDAT, select from the Import Menu, select "Gedmatch Tier 1: 3: Tier 1 Triangulations"
7. Locate the file you just saved, and click open. It will now import.
8. Review the Import Summary if desired.
People with endogamy may benefit from changing the Chromosome from “All” to a single chromosome and repeat the search for each in turn.
4: One to One Autosomal Comparison
This import template works for data obtained from both the “One to One Autosomal DNA Comparison” and the “One to One X-DNA Comparison”.
Only images for the Autosomal tool are shown here, but the process is the same for both.
Note: While you do not have to essentially be on the correct profile when importing a One to One, it is highly recommended that you are on the correct profile, as being on the incorrect profile can result in effectively two matches being added, one for the true profile, and one for the active profile.
1. Log in via the "New" option, and under the "Free Tools" heading, select "One-to-One Autosomal DNA Comparison".
2. Enter the GDAT Profiles kit number in Kit Number 1
3. Enter the kit to compare in Kit Number 2
4. Select Position Only. Other options can be left at default settings. If a different Build is desired, select it, but ensure that only one Build level is selected.
5. Press Submit button. You may or may not need to answer a reCaptcha.
6. When the results appear, highlight the page (Ctrl a or Cmd a), and copy the data (Ctrl c or Cmd c).
7. In GDAT, select from the Import Menu, "Gedmatch Tier 1: 4: Free Tools One-to-One Autosomal DNA Comparison"
8. Place your cursor in the pop up window, and click “Paste”. The contents of the clipboard will be added to this window. Now click “Import”.
10. Repeat as needed.
Problem: My Relative list shows all names as "A"
If you have loaded a One to Many match list and found that your Relative list is full of A names....
You loaded your Gedmatch Tier 1 One to Many results list in via the Gedmatch Free One to Many import template.
You will need to revert to the backup that you should have done immediately prior to loading your data to fix this situation.
If you have had this situation, you are a Tier 1 subscriber.
Please review your import templates and ensure that you have activated the Gedmatch Tier 1 templates before continuing.